Lemon-Herb Roasted Chicken in a Clay PotPosted: February 1, 2014
Clay pots make tender and moist meats and is a technique that has been used for thousands of years. If you do not have a clay pot, try using Reynolds Oven Bags to retain moisture or your favorite roasting method. This recipe is naturally gluten free and the simple ingredients can be found at any market.
Soak the clay pot according to product instructions.
1 (5-pound) roasting chicken
2 tablespoons of dried oregano
1 tablespoon of dried basil
2 teaspoons of cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
6 garlic cloves minced
1. Peel and section lemons, saving the peels.
2. Combine lemon sections and rest of the ingredients. Mash them together with a fork.
3. Prepare chicken by discarding giblet and neck.
4. Loosen skin from around the breast and drumsticks and rub lemon mixture under the skin.
5. Fill the body cavity with the lemon peels and tie legs.
6. Place in clay pot breast side up and place in clay pot and put into a COLD oven.
7. Bake at 450 degrees about 85 minutes until the thermometer reads 180 degrees. Remove skin and carve.
Serve with a wild rice blend and broccoli. The broth will make great soup later. Carefully pour it through a sieve into a freezer container and freeze for later.